Select a topic from the list below and undertake a literature review on the topic to write a..
Select a topic from the list below and undertake a literature review on the topic to write a research paper. Literature cited should include most recently published papers from journals as well as recent reports published by recognised institutions/organisations. If you prefer to write the paper on a topic not included in the list below, you are required obtain approval from the course convenor prior to commencing the work on the paper.
· Health and environmental impacts of poor waste management
· Collection, transfer and transport of municipal solid waste
· Separation and processing of municipal solid waste
· Recycling of municipal solid waste
· Biological treatment of municipal solid waste
· Managing green and organic waste
· Biogas generation from solid waste
· Incineration of municipal solid waste
· Energy recovery from municipal solid waste
· Sanitary landfills
· Rehabilitation of open waste dumps in developing countries
· Generation and management of landfill gas
· Generation and management of landfill leachate
· Waste and Climate change
· Waste management strategy development
· International strategies for municipal solid waste management
· Community based solid waste management
· 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycling)
· Role of partnerships in waste management
· Case studies of best practice solid waste management
The format of the paper is flexible. However, it should comply with the normal requirements of a paper published in a journal. The rationale behind this assessment item is to assess the student’s ability to research on a given topic in solid waste management, ability to cite latest literature and reports on latest developments in this area and to assess the ability to write a research paper to the standards normally required of a journal. Students are strongly encouraged to get familiar with such requirements by referring to paper published in an international scientific journal.