An overview of the importance of a Code of Ethics..
In 2017, you were hired by Organization ABC, a financial institution, as the Director of Human Resources. Organization ABC has 250 employees, who work remotely. The main headquarters of the company are located a small town in North Carolina. Very few employees have been to the organization’s headquarters due to the cost of travel and lack of time.
Although you are aware of past organizational issues, after four months of working with Organization ABC, it has been brought to your attention that the ethical culture of the organization is poor, at best. While Organization ABC has a strong fraud prevention program, there is not a Code of Ethics in place. Frank Jones, the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of ABC is quoted saying, “We don’t need a Code of Ethics. The majority of our employees know that our organization, from our mission statement, requires honesty and high-quality production. As a smaller company, I don’t believe that creating a Code of Ethics will change any of the fraudulent acts that have occurred in the past. People are people, and some people just don’t care about their actions.”
As the Director of Human Resources, you realize that 50 employees, in the past year, have been terminated due to fraudulent behavior. Furthermore, given discussions with organizational leaders, besides the CEO, there is a major push for a Code of Ethics, thus, it is your job to convince Frank that a code of ethics is needed.
For this assignment, please provide the following information:
- An overview of the importance of a Code of Ethics.
- Typical components of a Code of Ethics within a company in your industry.
- The strategy you would use to convince the company to create a Code of Ethics, including real-world examples of how organizations have profited from a Code of Ethics.
- Potential drawbacks/issues associated with a lack of a Code of Ethics.
The length and formatting requirements include:
- Three to four pages in length and include a title page, section headers, an introduction, a conclusion, and a reference page.
- Formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA.
- Cite a minimum of three sources, which should be academic, peer-reviewed scholarly sources to support your positions, claims, and observations. The CSU-Global library is a great place to find these resources.