5.4 Research Brief / No Plagiarism.
- Review Chapter 10 and Chapter 12 in The Labor Relations Process textbook
- Consider the following situation: You have just been hired as a manager in a department where absenteeism and horseplay are high, and productivity is low. You have been told that the workers are unionized and often file grievances to embarrass managers who “try to work them too hard.” Top management is not skilled in dealing with the union and has given the union a very lenient disciplinary clause.
- What will you do?
- Why will you do it?
- What consequences do you anticipate?
- Write a research brief that answers those three questions and also includes your response to the following questions:
- What seems to be the core HR problem(s)?
- Are there any legal implications that need to be considered?
- What role does the union contract play in your decision(s)?
- Reflecting back on Devotional 5.1, how did Nehemiah make things right upon his return? Do any of these principles apply to this situation?
- Use appropriate section headings to organize your brief.
- Your research brief should be 600-800 words and include a title page and reference page. The paper must use APA 6th edition formatting. You must use, at a minimum, your textbook and two sources from professional and/or peer-reviewed journals for a total of three references. References should be at least 3-5 pages and published within the last 3-5 years.
- To assist you in locating academic references the Campus Library Services at IWU provides access to an extensive academic library during your degree program. You can access online library resources or contact an OCLS librarian via the OCLS web site: http://www2.indwes.edu/ocls. Also, see OCLS available database resources at http://www2.indwes.edu/business_databases_handout.pdf.
- When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor using the Dropbox by the end of the workshop.